Monday, November 22, 2010

Kamikaze Dinner #2

As you'll soon find out, I don't plan meals like most normal people. I find it somewhat fun to come home to random foodness and have to find a way to put it all together. Tonight was no different. :)

Today I cleaned out my big freezer. This freezer had many unknown and forgotten contents, one of which was pierogies (for those who don't know what this wonderous food item is- it's pasta filled with mashed potatoes-sometimes with cheese or onion or other flavorings)

So, I started tonight's Kamikaze Dinner with some pierogies in a bowl of water, nuking in the microwave. While that went on, I found half a bag of half-wilted spinach, and about a quarter of an onion. Those got chopped up and put in a pot with some olive oil, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.

Then I found a small amount of cooked chicken in the fridge, so I added that to the pot. The pierogies were thawed enough, so I drained the water and added them to the pot as well.

After a moment of looking back into the pantry, I found a jar of roasted red peppers in oil, so I threw a couple of peppers in there (along with a little of the oil). Realizing the meal had little protein, I found a can of butter beans in the pantry, so I drained those, and into the pot they went!

All of that yumminess got cooked up for a few minutes until everything was nice and awesome. Then I put some in a bowl, sprinkled on a bit of parmasan cheese and Voila! Instant yumminess. It was fast, somewhat well rounded and healthy, and from things I had that were about to go bad. Kick-butt.

I do this often, so expect many more Kamikaze meals where this came from. If you want to try it yourself, play around with it. Have some peppers going bad? throw them in. You've got tortellini instead of pierogies? Awesome!

So, have fun. And share what Kamikaze meals YOU'VE come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Cheap Single Chick! I'd love to hear from ya, so feel free to post something here or drop me an email! :) See ya again soon!