Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I Made Homemade Yogurt...In My Slowcooker!

I can't tell you how excited I am. I found this recipe for Slowcooker Yogurt from Stephanie at a Year of Slow Cooking.

Now, I'm pretty good in the kitchen, but I had NO idea if this was going to work. I used 2% Milk instead of whole, and I'm a bit impatient, so I cheated how long I waited in between each step, BUT I think I did it!

Here is the recipe (I doubled it from the original):

1 Gallon Milk (best if you use Whole, but I used 2%)
1 Cup Plain Yogurt, with Live and Active Cultures

Here's how to make it (again, taken from Stephanie's directions at a Year of Slow Cooking):
  • Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. Add your milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
  • Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
  • When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in your store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.
  • Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.
  • Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.
  • In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened---it's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.
  • Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.
Now, mine wasn't quite as thick as I like it, so I strained some through a colander lined with a coffee liner. This took a while, but did help thicken up the yogurt.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm so excited! Stephanie has tons of other great slow-cooker recipe on her site as well. I'm crazy excited to try some more out! I'm making the Cajun Pulled Pork today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Cheap Single Chick! I'd love to hear from ya, so feel free to post something here or drop me an email! :) See ya again soon!