Monday, November 15, 2010

Make Your Own Super-Yummy Bread for Cheap!

So, I'm a bit of a breadaholic. I love all things bread. So when I came across this post on how to make your own bread using only 4 ingredients and taking only a few minutes, I decided to try it out. I only had wheat flour, so that's what I used, and while the results weren't as pretty, dang if it wasn't some of the best bread I'd ever had.

The website goes into way better details, but here's the basic overview-

Ingredients:

6 cups lukewarm water
3 tbsp yeast
3 tbsp sea salt
13 cups flour

To give you some idea, those numbers will give you 7-8 loaves of bread. When I tried this recipe out, I used 1/4 the amount of everything and made 2 loaves. So, as long as the ratios stay the same you can make a bigger batch or a smaller one.

Mix the water, yeast and sea salt in a big bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes (at this point, I like to throw in some herbs and spices- italian seasoning, rosemary and garlic powder- what you do flavor-wise is up to you).

Once that's all good to go, take your flour and put it in another bowl. Slowly add the water mixture, and stir it all up. It's gonna be super-moist. When it's all good and mixed, loosely cover the bowl and let sit at least 2 hours. If you want to bake it right then, proceed. If not, put the bowl in the fridge. It'll keep for a couple of weeks (or you can put it in a baggie and put it in the freezer)

When you're ready to bake, set the oven to 450 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven to get it nice and hot. Also stick a metal pan in there that will hold some water later.

Cut off a hunk of your dough. Lightly dust it with flour. Pull each of the corners down toward the bottom to open up the dough. Dust the back side of a cookie sheet (that's what I used- they recommend a pizza peel, which I didn't have) with cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking. Put the dough on the sheet and let sit for about 30-40 minutes.

When it's ready to go, dust the top of the dough with flour, slash at the top a few times with a sharp knife, and slide that bread ball onto the pizza stone in the oven. Pour a cup of water into the metal pan in the oven, and close the door quickly. The steam from the water helps make a yummy crust.

Let it bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Take the bread out of the oven. Let cool (unless you're like me, and like to attack the bread when it's nice and hot) and enjoy!

Again, these directions are WAY abbreviated, so please check out THIS SITE to read more about this process and all the other fabulous things you can do with your dough.

I have some dough rising now and can't wait to make me some more bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Cheap Single Chick! I'd love to hear from ya, so feel free to post something here or drop me an email! :) See ya again soon!