Monday, November 22, 2010

Cleaning and Decluttering: Baby Steps

Most people who know me know I'm a slob. I TRY to stay organized, but somehow always fail. It's just not one of my strong suits. Plus, I have a lot of stuff in a little space. Not having roommates or anyone to make me accountable also doesn't help. BUT, I'm really trying to change all that. So, today we start a little challenge for myself, and anyone who would like to join me, please do!

Right now, my house is pretty much looking like a bomb went off in it- clothes (clean ones, at least!) are in baskets everywhere, boxes of stuff that need to be gone through and put away lay cluttered about, dishes need done, all that good stuff. So, we're gonna start tackling everything in baby steps.

OPERATION CLEAN IT UP

For our challenge, I know there's no way everything is going to get done in a day...or 12, so we're going to break everything into bite-sized tasks...everything's better when it's bite-sized! :)

My goal is to have 30 minutes a day where I clean. Now, I know this won't happen every day, especially on days I work, BUT if I can do this 3-4 times a week, maybe by Christmas my house will be suitable for company! :)

Everyone ready?? Here we go!


DAY ONE
Kitchen

Baby Step 1:  Wash dishes. This means load up the dishwasher, run it, and pre-clean all other dishes waiting to be washed. This should take about 10-15 minutes for this part of the step (obviously, it takes a while for the dishes to go through the cycle, so while we wait, we shall move onto another task!)

Baby Step 2: While the dishes are going, put away any stray snacks, dishes, etc that may be hanging out on your counters (I'm super bad at never putting things away!). Wipe down counters. 5-10 minutes.

Baby Step 3: Do a quick sweep/mop of the floor. I'm a Swiffer girl- I LOVE my Swiffer vac and wet cleaning wipes. You DO still want to do a good, thorough mopping every once in a while, but for day to day cleaning, the Swiffer stuff is awesome. 10 minutes.

Well, we got through 30 minutes of cleaning today. How'd you do? If you still have momentum, feel free to keep on cleaning! Sometimes, when I start, I just want to keep going- sometimes, not so much. Either way, you've almost got one room looking presentable. Yay!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Cheap Single Chick! I'd love to hear from ya, so feel free to post something here or drop me an email! :) See ya again soon!